Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Yoga Class

December 3, 2014

I’m letting the gentle melody of the Braveheart soundtrack Pandora station rock my metaphysical senses in gentle meditation as I lie on a mat of foam that reeks of the lemon ginger scent of Trader Joe’s organic cleaning spray. Let the stress of the day roll off of your shoulders like the ocean breeze in the evening after a sweltering day. Breathe in, breathe out. I listen to the flamboyant voice of my gay male yoga instructor, muffled by the presence of bright blue braces on his teeth that reflect the glow of the candle-lit room every time he smiles.  And by candles, I mean the battery powered pieces of translucent plastic with tiny light bulbs in them. It’s a realm of organic peace that I’m lying in right now. Seriously.
       Clear my mind. That’s what you’re supposed to do in yoga. But all I can focus on is how my muscles are shaking like an epileptic in an earthquake while I’m splayed out like Patrick Star balancing my bodyweight on my wrist with my other arm reaching up to the ceiling. Nothing like the humility of yoga.
I also didn’t get the yoga pants memo. I didn’t realize people actually wear them for yoga. My white legs in my running shorts are positively blinding.
Breathe in, breathe out. Release the stress. Become one with yourself. Don’t fart. God, don’t fart. Someone farts. I’m probably more embarrassed for him than he is for himself. Try to rub the foamy mat to reproduce farting noise so that he can reassure his fellow yoga peers that the wet rumble emitted from his hind area was really his sweaty palm wiping the rubber mat. All of us try to believe it.
“Let’s all breathe out an ‘om,’” my instructor beckons. We all sit in a circle with our shoulders back. I peek through my closed eyelids and see everyone with their legs crossed like Buddha. I try to look like I’m comfortable in that position. Then I hear the beginning of a gentle cadence of bass tones exuding from the mouths of the people around me like monks in a monastery as they harmonize their “Oms”, and these people are really getting into it, like they’re breathing out a demon or something, and you can smell the putrid air of “Om,” and I fight my church giggles because I’m sorry, it just amuses me.

I haven’t been back to yoga. Not my thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment