Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

September 19, 2014


Sara, grow up. You’re professional. You’re not a fangirl. I really annoy myself sometimes, and it annoys me a lot that I’m standing on this stage and I want to take pictures of the band rehearsing to put on Facebook and brag to all my friends that I’m on stage with the drummer from Red Hot Chili Peppers. No one else seems to care; Brad and Jordan are setting up the cameras and Matt’s running around planning the shots for this big event at University of Washington. Will Ferrell’s talking and some musical people are playing, all to raise money for cancer survivors. Anyway, it’s like no big deal when Brandi Carlile walks in and starts belting into the mic. And then when the Guns n’ Roses guitarist comes in, and the bassist from the Dave Matthews band starts strumming, followed by a sick guitar solo from Mike McCready from Pearl Jam, you might as well be listening to the radio the way everyone’s acting. I’m such a rookie.
Until they’re off stage. Then things start changing… the mood of the room changes when these individuals walk around. It’s like I’m fumbling around for a sand bag for my tripod and the wind shifts, or the smell of the room changes, or the temperature rises a few degrees, and you’re like, what just happened. Oh, hey, Will Ferrell’s here. That’s what happened. Men that formerly stood tall and tact suddenly become divas with tunnel-vision focused on this one particular person, and this person’s every movement is important, every joke is hilarious, every nod or glance envied or worshipped. I think it’s the hat. I really do. Every celebrity wears a hat. I think more normal people should wear hats, to be honest.
“Hey Will! I’m Sara!” I say all bright and cheery like I’m introducing myself to a friend’s new boyfriend. He’s a little taken aback, probably because I swooped in out of the background right after his meet-and-greet and nudged my way between his agent and the event coordinator to shove my hand in his face. “Hi,” he says to me with a large, questioning smile. He’s actually a pretty genuine dude. It makes me feel shy but I’m going to go with it. “Just want to say thanks for coming out tonight! That’s all!” and that’s what I say. There’s this awkward silence from everyone after I say “that’s all” but he’s a nice guy so he recovers and says something like “no problem” so I pat him on the arm real friendly and all, like meeting celebrities is part of my day job, and tell him to have a great night. Okay. Could have been worse. (I ended up joking with him a little bit before the night ended. Yes. I shared a joke with Will Ferrell. I’m going to savor that.)
Anyway, so all my life I’ve had these dreams. I grew up wanting a motorcycle and I finally saved up $300 to take the class and get the license, and then I managed to get a little xt225 that was road certified but I had to put a few more hundred in to fix it up, and then I had to register it and tag it and buy all my riding gear and it took forever but I’ll never forget the way it felt to ride it legally on the road for the first time. I rode it to lunch with my parents on my 21st birthday, a real swanky place where they ordered champagne and Mom wore a dress. I was thirty minutes late and I had to sneak into the bathroom with my helmet and gear while my mom’s back was turned so I could throw on a dress and then I had to hide my stuff behind the hostess counter. And then on the night I first thought of the idea for Journey in their Shoes, the little non-profit I run, I had this dream that one day it would be known and that people would get behind its mission, and I saw myself being interviewed by important people because of it and having the chance to get my message out. Then I found myself in the Amazon rainforest with cameras in my face and Microsoft’s reporter interviewing me for thirty minutes to get my story and my message. And there was the feeling again of a dream realized.
You know, everyone says follow your dreams, and I stand behind that. It’s a good mantra. Like I’ve said, success is a choice and not an opportunity. But for me, I like to remember where I come from. I like to look back on the younger me that cried when the popular girls threw my underwear out the window in middle school, or the girl that had her heart broken for the first time at fifteen, or the girl that wanted to drop out of college in my last year because it was too overwhelming and I wasn’t very emotionally stable. I like to remember those times because it makes the place I’m in overwhelmingly satisfying. Not that I don’t ever feel that way anymore, I do. I’m lonely, I’m insecure, and bless my poor roommate, I’m emotional. But I had a dream once where I wanted to be someone important. I wanted to find a place in the world that would give me the opportunity to share a message of love. I wanted to be around people that have influence, because then that message can reach further. And I wanted to get paid to do something that I love. I held onto that dream and sacrificed a lot of certainty to be able to follow it. And this moment happens, where I’m backstage with a camera and lots of important people, and we’re watching a clip of Chris Smith and Will Ferrell on Jimmy Fallon, and I realize that Chris Smith is next to me and Will Ferrell is 30 feet away and holy crap. I’m living a dream. I never want to forget to stop and remember, because that happens really easily in this superficial film industry. You can get all caught up on where you have left to go and not how far you've come. I don’t ever want to get sucked into forgetting that every moment can be a dream realized and even though I have more dreams to follow and more places to go, I’m happy right here. I don’t know if I’ve ever experienced a better feeling than contentment.


No comments:

Post a Comment